|photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons|
Largest Species of Centipede
The giant centipede of Central and South America can grow to 10 inches long. It is also known as the Peruvian giant yellowleg centipede. They feed on mice, lizards, frogs, and some have been known to eat bats.
Largest Aquatic InsectThe giant water bug can grow to just over 4-1/2 inches long. It is found in Venezuela and Brazil, and it is a meat-eating predator.
Greatest Insect Builder
The termite earns this honor. In eastern Australia, people found termite mounds that measured 20 feet in height and 100 feet in circumference.
Most Bioluminescent Insect
Even though a firefly is small, it gives off a surface brightness of 45 millilamberts. Here is a good comparison. A light bulb's energy gives off only 10% light, and the other 90% is heat. A firefly's light is almost 100% pure light.
Most Insecticide-Resistant Insect
Research shows that the green peach aphid is resistant to up to 71 different chemical pesticides.
Largest Species of Beetle:
Body Size: The South American titan beetle can be 6 inches long
Body Length: The hercules beetle, which is also found in South America, has been found as long as 7 inches. This length includes a long pair of horns.
Body Weight: The goliath beetle from Africa can obtain larval weights of
up to 3. 5 oz.
We are happy that our largest insects are nowhere near some of those records. Your Lake of the Ozarks Best Pest Control would definitely tackle them if you needed us to though! These facts are pretty incredible, but it doesn't change our outlook on insects. They don't belong inside your home. We are here to kick them out for you when they try to make their way in.